27 Things About Me
I hope you're having a lovely day (whenever you're reading this).
I asked you all in a poll on Instagram what type of blog post you wanted to see this week, and the winner was "Fun Facts About Me." I'm excited for this opportunity to open up to all of you even more than I already have, because my business isn't just about booking sessions, snapping photos, exchanging payments, and then moving on to the next venture.
I wholeheartedly look forward to each and every session that I have booked, because it means that I get the chance to witness and document a brand new story that I never even knew about before...
It's sort of like beginning a brand new novel. The sensation of falling in love with the words on the pages, rooting for the characters, feeling everything they feel, and then suddenly reaching the end, left wanting to revel in the story more...it's a similar phenomena to how I feel behind the camera as I'm learning your story. I always hope to retell it with as much honesty as possible.
With that being said, you all deserve to know at least a little bit about my story as well!! That way when session time rolls around, it'll be easier for you to connect with me and let down any remaining walls you might've still had up. Comfort, open-ness, and honesty is key to our interaction. I know how it feels to be in front of the camera, and it's my hope to make it a fun and insightful experience rather than dreaded, nerve-wracking one.
1. My parents named me Skyler because my dad is a pilot. I have to give them credit for their cleverness on that one!
2. Hummus and guacamole make up a large percentage of my diet. Seriously.
3. I can pick up things with my toes...but I'm not sure if that's a fun fact or just weird.
4. I have two dogs, Carmen and Ron Jon. They are chihuahua/rat feist mixes. Carmen is the color of caramel, so her name makes sense, but the reason I named Ron Jon what I did is because the day I got him, I was wearing a Ron Jon Surf Shop t-shirt. Their names are a little weird, but I kind of like it--I think they're unique!
5. Tornadoes have always been one of my biggest fears. As a child, I watched the weather forecast religiously, always fearing one was going to come get me. On days when we had severe weather, I would take my prized possessions to the basement so they wouldn't get blown away. Yep. I did that.
6. Besides photography, music is my other great love. I sing, play guitar, ukulele, some piano, and so on, hence the name, "Kentucky Songbird." I have too many musical inspirations to start to list any of them, honestly!!!
7. One of my greatest wishes in life is to have children of my own.
8. I love to read! There was a point in high school where I challenged myself to read two books a week, and I did. (I had too much time on my hands, apparently.)
9. An item on my bucket list is to visit the Sainte-Chapelle Cathedral in Paris. I am SO FASCINATED by it.
10. I often have dreams of going back to Harry Potter World. I've been once and it was one of the most magical times of my life, and I really hope to go back soon! (I'm a huge Harry Potter geek, if you didn't know.)
11. Riding a bicycle is one of the most therapeutic things in the world to me. I have many fond memories from my childhood of riding bikes with my Papa and dad.
12. I have to sleep with a fan on. Always. Even in the depths of winter.
13. One of the first songs I recollect ever hearing is, "Love Me Two Times" by The Doors. I was extremely young, too. Maybe two years old. The memory is fuzzy, but it's there.
14. I love to eat ice.
15. Buffalo sauce is something I also love to eat.
16. I'm just now realizing how many of my fun facts have been about food. I'll try to do better from here on out.
17. One of my favorite movies of all time is, "Where the Heart Is." I don't really know why, but it is. I've loved it since I was 8 or 9. I have the book but haven't read it yet!
18. I really want to learn calligraphy and how to play violin.
19. I'm a Capricorn; I was born on January 10th, 1997.
20. Star gazing is one of my favorite past times. (That sounds cliche, but I'm not saying that to sound hipster or something. Haha! It's true!!)
21. I have an obsession with VW buses. I collect figurines of them, t-shirts, coffee cups, artwork, etc. It would be super cool if I could afford to buy one someday...we'll see!
22. Whenever I see a butterfly, I like to think it's my Papa. He would always say, "All aboard the butterfly express!" when he picked me up for dance class. Plus, anytime I've managed to get a decent photo of one, it has always been at his house, where my Nana still lives.
23. A perfect night in my mind involves sitting around a bonfire with my family and friends, with Neil Young playing over the stereo, and then at some point, going inside and playing cards.
24. I've never been a great swimmer, but I'm attracted to water.
25. I love coffee with hazelnut creamer. Once that has been made, I can start my day!
26. I love going to Goodwill with my mom and searching for hidden gems.
27. Lastly, my favorite colors are purple and yellow.
I hope that you found these fun facts interesting, and that you gained some insight as to who I am as a person! I can't wait to share more of myself with you all in the future.
I'll see you guys next time, and until then, stay groovy!